Monday, August 13, 2012

Handling Rejection

“When I go someplace and the people don’t receive and accept me, I don’t let it get me down, I just shake it off and go on about my business.” –Luke 10:10-11


We've all experienced rejection at some point in our life or another. It could be that job we didn't get, that car or home we didn't qualify for, that crush or person that didn't like us, or even a family member or close friend who decided to alienate themselves from us. We've all experienced rejection, but how we handle it could be the difference between a life-long chain of bitterness and resentment, or joy and forgiveness. I once heard someone say, “Rejection is God's protection." As funny or cliché as that may sound, it's true. There are many times in life in which God does not give us what we ask for or what we want because what He has in store for us is so much better. He doesn't want us to settle for any less than what He has planned for us, yet we often do settle out of fear that God's plan may not be what we want or like. Rejection doesn’t always have to be a bad thing either. Sometimes when we experience rejection (for example, from a job) it motivates us to improve and become better. Whenever we experience rejection in our lives, we need to recognize and remind ourselves that as one door closes, another opens. God may allow a certain door to a relationship, job, etc. to close in your life, but it only means it's because there is a better one about to be opened. When it comes to handling rejection in a healthy manner, it is crucial to remind ourselves of God's word and promises. His word tells us that He will never, ever reject or leave us (John 6:37, Deuteronomy 31:6), that He accepts us, and that He has chosen us to be His own (John 15:16, Isaiah 41:9). His word tells us that are His creation whom He loves and will never stop loving (John 3:16, Romans 8:38). Any time you feel bitterness or resentment over a rejection that you've experienced, it is so important to remind yourself of these truths of who God made you to be, and the love and acceptance that He has for you. Know that God loves and accepts you just the way you are. Below I've incorporated some scriptures on rejection and God's acceptance that can help you remember these truths of the love and acceptance that God has for you.
In Isaiah 41:9 God says, “I have chosen you and have not rejected you.” He loves you for who you are, He has a plan and purpose for your life, and if you turn to Him know that He will never, never reject you--He loves you too much!

“He will never leave you nor forsake you.” -Deuteronomy 31:6-8

“Whoever comes to me I will never cast out, reject, or drive away.” -John 6:37

“If God is for me than who can be against me?” -Romans 8:31

“The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.” -Psalm 23:1

“The LORD will not reject his people; he will not abandon his special possession.” -Psalm 94:14

“He never rejects me, but has promised to be with me everywhere I go, always.” -Joshua 1:9, Matthew 28:20

“God has chosen you.”-John 15:16

No comments:

Post a Comment